Guiding Statements at our American School in Costa Rica
Costa Rica International Academy, a U.S. accredited college preparatory school serving an international community, inspires a passion for learning and provides children with the skills, values, and courage to become responsible leaders in their communities and the world.
We aspire to be a world-class American international school in Costa Rica with a culture of high expectations, high performance and accountability.
We respect all creeds, religions and points of view. The School does not undertake religious instruction nor blend secular and sectarian education. At the same time, moral values and spiritual issues have a place in the educational process. Values such as fairness, justice, compassion, honesty, and the “Golden Rule” are taught without a religious label. Faculty and staff conduct reflect these values and serve as a model for the students.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
In keeping with the mission, vision and values of our American international school in Costa Rica, we strive to:
- Provide for the development of intellectual, social, aesthetic and moral values that satisfy the needs of our students;
- Serve students from the expatriate and local communities;
- Maintain high academic standards and foster a love of learning;
- Provide a program that focuses on basic skills in English (literature, writing, speaking, and listening), math, science, history, geography, Spanish, physical education and the arts;
- Maintain a structured plan for learning, which clearly articulates curriculum content;
- Evaluate student learning frequently with a variety of assessment tools to ensure that each child is progressing appropriately;
- Help students prepare for a world of rapid change in which continuing education, creative thought, the ability to use technology, and acquisition of skills are essential;
- Value and teach cultural understanding and knowledge of the complexities of our world;
- Teach and model virtues such as honesty, compassion, diligence, kindness, fairness, loyalty, and the “Golden Rule”; and
- Prepare students for admission to universities in North America, Costa Rica, and around the world.